Monday, February 28, 2011

the royal wedding and the kingdom of God.

Just in case you didn't know-Prince William is getting married. Which means a royal wedding (of the century) is in the works, which also means there's an invite list. This 1,900 person invite list was a mystery until recently. Some names on the list are well known, some are not. I'm sure there are a few people who thought they were surely invited, but are still waiting on the invite. Most, I'm sure, were not surprised to receive an invite, but some were.

Enter: John Haley of the Old Boot Inn.

This is the guy who pours pints at Kate Middleton's fam's favorite pub. That's all he's done for the future princess and in his interview he says in he was "quite surprised" to get an invite. "I'm over the moon," he said.

After all, who would have thought a pub owner would be invited?

For me, this scenario has given me an idea of what the Greatest Royal Wedding Banquet will be like. The one with Jesus as the guest of honor and His people as the bride. I am positive the no brainer's will be there: i.e.Paul, Peter, John and David, the martyrs of old (and present), C.S. Lewis, and so on. On a more sobering note, I am also sure people who themselves thought they would be in attendance will not. (Jesus himself alludes to this in Matthew 25) Best of all, I do believe we will see the "pub owners". The ones we least expected. The ones who themselves may not have counted themselves worthy. And there is great joy in that.

Watch John Haley's interview here

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this post. It really made me think. I totally agree....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad! It made me think too...

    ReplyDelete