Sunday, January 9, 2011

be sticky.

"You catch more flies with honey, honey."
(based on the sayin', "you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.")

These words, confusing at first, were spoken to me a few weeks ago in the midst of a conversation in which I was learning that though I want/need to be more direct and less of a pleaser (especially in my responses/advice to people, I've had a few "fails") I need to retain virtues of kindness and gentleness. As I've rolled these words around in my mind, and experimented with them in the realities of life, they've taught me a few things:

Speak gently.

Respond graciously, calmly, confidently, humbly

Be willing to be wrong (it's not my way, always.)

*Be teachable

"Consider others better than yourself." -Paul, Philippians 2 (think about that one for awhile..whew!)

Listen intently...with your ears and your heart.

Try giving advice only when asked...and if you do give it, give it sincerely, lovingly and humbly.

So, in a sense, what I've learned is to "be sticky". This isn't about pleasing people or telling them only what they want to hear, but what they need to hear....love.

May love be the undertones of our conversations, our actions and ultimately our life.

1 comment: